Friday 30 May 2014

My Journey to White Hair Part 1 : How I Ruined my Hair

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a qualified hairdresser, and am not responsible for how your hair will react to any of the techniques used here. Please follow all instructions in any products you choose and when In doubt GO TO A HAIRDRESSER. Thank you!~

If you are considering trying to get white hair I would really recommend reading this! ESPECIALLY if you are planning on BLEACHING YOUR own HAIR.I know there's several parts and quite a bit to read but hopefully it will help you out a bit! It will include a few tutorials and recommendations but I do recommend overall to GO TO A HAIRDRESSER. I know its more expensive but it will save you ruining your hair like me!

This series of articles will include;
How I ruined my hair 
How I stripped my hair
Toning to white (and ending up with blue)
What I use to keep my hair healthy


As a person who loves to dye their hair, its amazing how many mistakes you can actually make. The first time I dyed my hair I was 12-13, which was basically just a shade darker than my natural hair and my mum did it for me. Next was a purple/brown colour, and then a few years after that was red, which friends did, then every time after that I did it myself. Since then I've had one blue disaster, one awesome blue and a bit of a failed white attempt. I went back to red for a few weeks before I decided I wanted to try going back to white again....and its been one hell of a journey, especially considering it still isn't as white as I want!

So, after having quite short hair for about 5 or 6 years, I decided I wanted to grow it again. I'm lucky because my hair grows pretty fast! Here's an awful comparison.



WOW moving swiftly on.....

So I grew it for ages and it still grew pretty fast even though I dyed it, but recently, I had to have a lot of the length cut off because of how much of a mess I made bleaching it.

I bleached it myself and broke all the rules, and ended up having to go to the hairdressers to get it sorted because no matter what product or oil I used, my hair was still straw like when dry and like glue when wet. I couldn't brush it whilst it was wet else I ended up pulling the ends of my hair off. In the end I decided to get it cut when one day I woke up and it had tangled up like mad in the night and was so painful to brush. 

I basically asked the hairdresser to cut off the most damaged bits and this is what I ended up with this


I've gotta admit, it doesn't look that much shorter here, but trust me, she cut A LOT off. I was kinda heartbroken at the time but I love it now!

Now, on to a couple 'rules' I broke which meant I ended up with glue hair.Seriously, I could pull the ends off my hair when it was wet and it would just stretch and snap off....it was gross. My fringe is still like it at the top but not as bad. 

1) Bleaching too many times
You're meant to wait at least 2, better even 3-4 weeks before bleaching again
4 times
4 times in a week I bleached my hair 
That doesn't count the bleach bath I did after trying to make my own toner and turning my hair blue
It was awful for the first few days and I just piled on the deep conditioner a hair masks but really, they're only a temporary fix, and not long after you're right back to brittle glue hair.

2) Making my own toner
If you watch a tutorial on youtube of someone making their own toner using purple dye, use the same stupid dye they used. Don't buy a cheaper one thats actually blue based but you didn't realise.
 Using it as toner with just make your hair blue tinted. 
Which will then fade to green. 
And then your work colleagues will call you snot hair and pretend to sneeze on you.
 Just remember....not all dyes are the same and will react different when diluted with conditioner and if you see someone getting results from one dye it doesn't mean another dye in a similar colour will do the same! 
I will touch on this more in my post about the toners I use!

3) Being absolutely terrible at applying bleach
This was actually the 3rd time i'd attempted bleaching my hair myself.
The first time I tried I ended up with the grossest, patchiest meant-to-be-blue-but-ended-up-with-green-hair, after which I had to rush down to the shop to get more hair dye to cover it.

The second time I tried to go white but gave up after almost getting glue hair, and this time it was also pretty patchy near my roots.

But for some reason this time I thought...wow, I've watched so many youtube videos now, I'm a professional!!
Nope
Not. Even. Close.
Please try and go to their hairdressers, to be honest it will save you a lot of suffering and money in the long run! Save up and get awesome hair instead of trying to do it yourself and messing it up!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the end of part one. I hope it's given you an idea of the risks involved with bleaching your own hair! I'm not saying everyone will have these problems, but I thought the same and here we are.

Part 2 coming soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment